I get so annoyed over the constant hate of a) fans in general and b) Supernatural fans specifically. Especially since it's insulting the vast majority of people who watch a show (with a few exceptions like NCIS where maybe 1-5% of the watchers are in the actual fandom). I don't like it when actors do it, I don't like it when networks/execs do it, and I REALLY don't like it when other run-of-the-mill TV watchers or worse! other fans do it.
Yes, there are a few people out there that probably need a reality check. No actor should be attacked physically or verbally, and no fan should think stalking or obsessive love letters are ok.
But fanfic? Making YouTube vids? WHO THE FUCK CARES? I don't think that makes a person "crazy". And I'm a little sick of getting labeled as thus. More importantly, I am sick of reading in certain comms, "oh this comm is great, it's not full of those crazies from fandom" EXCUSE ME. *I* am in that comm and you know what? You'd probably consider me crazy.
Things You Should Know (about fandom):
1. Fandom is mean to be FUN.
2. I don't insult or judge your kinks, why should you judge mine?
3. Don't try to act all moral. If you're going to insult Wincest for immorality, then maybe you should look at yourself. Have you had sex outside of marriage? GASP. That's immoral! Let he among us without sin cast the first stone. Until then, GTFO.
4. If you're not interested in it, DON'T READ IT.
5. It's all FICTION. I suspect less than 1% of those who write incest would actually condone it in real life. Or do it themselves. That number may even be less than .05%. Writing doesn't mean you approve. Otherwise, the very fact that you watch a show about a serial killer (take Heroes or Dexter or any procedural for example) clearly indicates that you condone serial killers. Let's be logical, folks.
6. If you're going to insult one fandom's use of incest, why not insult them all? Why must you focus on this one? It's because it's known. The show itself mocks it. Thus, you are not showing intelligence. You are evidence of bandwagon reactions to something unknown.
7. There is a fine line between acknowledging weird or unusual and perhaps not appropriate behavior and being mean/rude. I admit, I recoil a bit when I see people with "Jensen Ackles" tattooed across their back. It's not me and it seems a bit extreme. But I am not judging the person. Do I think the action is probably not appropriate? Yeah. But it is by no means against the law and I suspect those people are in their right minds. Who hasn't done something entirely illogical or emotional? They feel a connection with that person. It's not harming you and it's not harming me. There is no need to insist on calling them crazy and then leaping to the conclusion all fans are. The same can be said for being a participant in fandom or for, more specifically, fandom kinks. I don't get mpreg at all. It's weird and not my cup of tea. SO I DON'T READ IT (referring back to #4). But if someone on my flist writes/reads it? That's ok with me. I don't call them crazy. It's entirely implausible. But I still would never call them crazy for enjoying it.
I could go on with this all day, I think. I've just had it up to HERE with Supernatural fans, people who claim to be Supernatural fans, the meta on the show, and all the others who sit back and judge the show and its fans. When I first joined fandom 5 years ago, it was fun. These days, I find it less so. The bitter in-fighting and the brutal attacks of fans (and writers/execs) makes it a hostile place to be most days. Now, I don't let someone declaring I am crazy stop me. Or even bother me most of the time (in that I don't feel ashamed or guilty). But man, is all this bullshit getting on my nerves.
So, I just want to make this clear. And please, if this bothers you, by all means defriend me. I don't want you either then if you can't accept me as a whole being and can't realize I'm not insisting you read/write it.
I got into SPN fandom with Wincest.
I have read Wincest.
I have written Wincest (and one day, will finish my WIPs).
I LIKE Wincest.
I have read J2.
I have written J2.
I DO NOT believe J2 will actually get together and DO wish them all the happiest with Gen and Daneel.
I have read Petrellicest.
I have written Petrellicest.
I LIKE Petrellicest.
I LIKE other RPS.
I have a lot of kinks.
I LOVE Castiel.
I like angel!sex.mishaland
Comment and/or defriend away. Thank you for your time.
(This rant brought to you by this ONTD thread